Fort H.G. Wright 1903 11/26 W 37-0 Fort Greble 1908 11/28 ? Fort Trumbull 1909 11/10 W 11-0 New London Independents (H) 1911 11/6 canceled at Connecticut State Aggies [Due to popular state egg laying contest] 1912 W-L at Cedars (New London) 11/10 W 20-0 at New London Independentd at Robinson's Lot in Blydenburg Ave. 1913 9/30 W 13-0 Fort Terry (H) 11/1 L at Fort Adams 11/27 ? at Bulkeley Independents at Plant Field 1914 10/10 W 19-0 Connecticut State Aggies 10/21 W 16-6 Fort Adams at New London (H) 10/30 L 0-13 at Fort Greble at Dutch Island 11/15 ? at Washington Glees at Savin Rock, New Haven 11/21 L 0-15 Fort Terry at Plant Field 1915 11/7 L 0-87 at Washington Glees at Savin Rick, New Haven 1917 L 0-21 Fordham L 7-10 Fordham 10/24 ? Fort Terry 1918 L 0-7 Fordham 1919 W 14-10 Fordham 1920 L 0-14 Fordham L 14-28 Fordham 1924 9/21 canceled All-New Britain 9/21 W 12-0 New London Submarine Base 1934 (11th Coast Artillery) ? Hull' Brewers Steam Rollers (Providence) 10/21 ? Fort Adams at New London 10/21 ? Hartford Rangers T 0-0 190th Co., CCC (New London) 1935 (11th Coast Artillery) 11/17 ? 190th Co., CCC (New London) 11/28 ? 190th Co., CCC (New London) [v different battery, Ft. Wright] 1936 Fort Wright Inter-Battery League 10/7 Battery A (W 10-6) Battery C 11/4 Battery C (W 12-6) Battery B 11/11 Battery C v. Headquarters Battery 1940 (242nd Coast Artillery) 10/27 ? New London Electric Boat Diesel at Mercer Field 1942 (242nd Coast Artillery) 10/20 L-W Stratford Rams
|• Fort H.G. Wright was named for MG Horatio G. Wright,, a Union volunteer in the Civil War and an U.S. Army engineer, 1879-1884.|
|• Headquarters of Harbor Defenses of Long Island Sound from 1913.|
|• Part of a coastal defense that included 3 other installations, Fort Terry on Plum Island off of the North Fork of Long Island, Fort Michie on Great Gull Island in the Long Island Sound between Fishers Island and the North Fork, and Camp Hero at Montauk Point.|
|• Part of the 11th Coast Artillery Regiment from November 1924.|
|• No shots were ever fired from the batteries at these installations.|
|• Called Munnawtawkit by the Pequot, Fishers Island is two miles south of Connecticut and 11 miles north of Long Island.|
|• John Winthrop, the son of the founder of Boston, and his descendents, owned the island (originally Visher's Island) from 1640 to 1863.|
|• Brickmaking was the only industry on Fishers Island through most of the 19th century.|
|• Today the only ferry to the island is from New London.|
Go to the Amazing Sports Lists!
This list is compiled and designed by Paul S. Luchter
©All rights reserved.